First time home owner, or renter? Here are a few tips, tricks, and lists to make sure you have what you need to live in your home. Nobody wants to be left in the dark, which starts off our first list…
Before moving in:
- Call the Electricity and Gas companies at least four days ahead, to turn on your home’s connections
- Locate nearby services that are relevant to you, such as the police, hospital, doctors, schools, grocery store etc
- Contact removalists to get rid of all the junk you aren’t bringing
- Sort through the items you aren’t bringing and donate what you can
- Update your address details to friends, and families
- Change your address details to your postage service
- Organise relevant insurance
- Confirm your moving day services, such as the moving van and removalists
- Organise your belongings, and boxes by priority. If you number your boxes in order of what needs to be unpacked first, such as furniture and appliances, you’ll be able to better keep track.
The day before:
Pack an overnight bag! Think of this bag to be your survival kit in case of an apocalypse. If things don’t go as planned as you’re moving in, such as the moving van unable to bring your belongings that day, you’ll need supplies to get you through. What you should pack in your overnight bag:
- Food. Moving in requires some strenuous exercise and repetitive movements that will cause all to be hungry. Preferably pack two days worth of food for everyone moving in.
- Water, in case your water isn’t connected.
- Four sets of clothes: one set of sleeping clothes, one in case you get wet, one for the dirty work, and one to stay (clean) in
- Hammer, screws, screwdrivers etc
- Cleaning products: multi purpose cleaner, heavy duty cleaner, bleach, gloves, wipes, sponges
Aside from the obvious necessity of a bed, what you definitely need in your home:
- Lighting: light fixtures, light bulbs etc
- Batteries! Click here to find out how to store batteries, and here for some fun storage tips.
- Hangers for your clothes. Buy the same look of hanger for your closet to look cleaner, and organised.
- For the bathroom: plunger, soaps, tooth paste, toothbrush, comb/brush, bath mat, toilet brush, toilet cleaner, bucket and mop.
- For the kitchen: microwave, oven cleaner, gloves, sponges, washing detergent, tea towels, tableware, cups, mugs, bowls, plates, cutlery, cooking utensils.
- For the laundry room: bleach, fabric softener, laundry detergent, iron and ironing board, baskets.
- For the house: first aid kit, tool box, fire extinguisher, extension cords, adapters, chargers, and flashlight.